Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Piqued Pinterest

Okay, so when I first starting hearing about Pinterest, I pretty much ignored it.  Like so many people, my initial attitude was "Uhff,  I'm so busy as it is.  I don't need another internet "thing."  Then, I kept hearing about it, so I started asking questions.  Most of the time, I heard things like "it's a great way to get cute ideas" or "so many ideas!"  I started thinking, "So, this is some internet think tank where people are just batting around 'ideas' all the time?"  Finally, I just looked it up and requested an "invite" so I could check it out for myself.  (Isn't it interesting how the word invitation has been replaced by the simple invite?)

I received my official credentials and secret handshake instructions relatively quickly and began checking it out. 
I admit.  At first I thought it was way stupid.  So much visual clutter.  Seeing as how I am absolutely NO Martha Stewart, I knew a bunch of "cute" crafty ideas weren't going to benefit me. But, I told myself to shut up and keep my mind open.  Spent a few days looking, watching, reading, digesting.  And, I'm glad I listened to myself.  As I continue to learn how it works and have jumped in and started participating, I am really diggin' it.  In fact, I think my husband would love it, but twice I've brought it up and tried to explain it, only to be met with "Uhff,  I'm so busy as it is.  I don't need another internet "thing."  Oh well.

I'm still learning and figuring it all out, but I have to tell you, I love this damn site.  It's a crazy, brilliant platform.  And yes, I have seen some "cute ideas" that even I could pull off.  But, most importantly, I'm getting tons of cooking ideas and leads to other food blogs and websites that interest me.  The last few days, I've been almost obsessed by this site that I learned about via Pinterest, courtesy of my friend Ellen, "A year of slow cooking: 2008." This woman has some fortitude, to say the least!  


365 days of using her crockpot without repeating a single dish! And, as I've been scrolling through her dishes, I'm just overjoyed at all the "great ideas" I've gotten.  Crockpot cooking is awesome, especially when you learn to make something other than "stew."  I mean, that can mean any old mushy, soupy stuff, right?

The moral of this story is this: Pinterest is cool.  It is social media in a totally new way.  I love Facebook too.  And just fyi, I LOATHE Twitter.  

I use it because I have to since so many people like it and that's how you reach them.  I don't get their obsession with it.  I think it sucks.  I also hate LinkedIn.  I have a LinkedIn account, but I don't use it.  If you send me a LinkedIn request, I'll ignore it.  I'm not ignoring you.  I just hate LinkedIn.  Actually, I hate it more than Twitter.  So, if you want to interact with me, these are the best ways:  call me, email me, FB me, Pinterest me, or just invite me out for a drink.  

Wow, that was quite a tangent, huh?  And have you noticed my fondness for "quotation marks" today?  Anyway, if you haven't checked out Pinterest yet, I recommend you do.  If you need an "invite" let me know and I'll hook you up.  And as far as the "great ideas" I've gotten so far, I'm dying to make the bacon sour cream crockpot chicken recipe that I found on someone's Pinterest board.  Once I do, I'll let you know how it turns out!

1 comment:

  1. For someone who hates Twitter, your tweet yesterday RE: Karate Class Couple was hilarious!

    I have a LinkedIn account and I never use it. I'm the opposite of you, I'll automatically add you if you ask and I do know you, but other than that, not into it.

    And, RE Pinterest, MEH. I note that most of my pins are actually pictures of words written out, which means that I'm more a FB/Twitter kind of gal. Pinterest= crafts I will never make, food I will never cook, and clothes I would never wear (much less buy). :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...